Friday, January 18, 2008

Today I Mused About

a claim by Freeman Dyson that research into telepathy is very difficult, as scientific rigor is almost impossible to arrange. For example, if telepathy is more likely in individuals in a state of emotional excitation, then a laboratory is not the place to see it. And I mused that there is a researcher who claims to have circumvented such problems by studying dogs instead of humans, supposedly finding, though I remain skeptical, that dogs will spend more time at the door of the house from the moment their owner decides to come home until the owner arrives, even accounting for instances when the owner decides to come home at an irregular time. I further mused that psychic research will never say anything definitive until we understand the mind much better, since the experiments offer no hint of a mechanism, and that is what would be needed to convince scientists.

2 comments:

La Misma said...

Hey, you did steal my idea! I like "Today I mused" as a format. I might steal that.

Anonymous said...

I'll bet there is a way to use statistical inference to demonstrate "telepathic" events, Dyson notwithstanding.

Brian Josephson, another quantum physicist, is one who thinks there is sufficient evidence for telepathy.--s29