Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Death and hiking

I know that's a weird title, but it's descriptive of the two topics I had in mind for this post. My pet mouse Delta just died, a fact which most people might find a bit sad, but on the whole utterly trivial. In a way, it's as trivial as all death. Vast numbers of creatures of all sizes are dying every single second. How significant is one more? Still my wife and I were very attached to the little girl, and we were quite sad to see her go. It's interesting to compare the life of a mouse with the life of a dog, a human, or even a car. It's easier to observe the overall arc of life in a mouse because it does happen so quickly. In all cases we start accumulating various problems which don't quite fix themselves, and after a while they become catastrophic enough that our body ceases to function. It's the natural arc of life in which every creature is embedded. My Buddhist training tells me that when a tragedy happens, like the death of a loved one, to use it to further my own practice. I think to myself that I am no different in nature from the one who died, and I will eventually die, though I don't know when. It could be that I won't see tomorrow. Realizing this, I am spurred by the short time I have left to make the most of every moment.

Speaking of running short on time, I'm about to leave on a 4.5 day hiking trip. It should be a lot of fun. Unfortunately, that means I have to end this blog post rather abruptly....

3 comments:

vacuous said...

I'm back from my hike. It was quite an experience. There were sublime moments and, especially near the end, painful moments. (I.e. lots of soreness from a heavy pack, and pounding my feet.) Butterflies and wildflowers on the last day, though. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

I'm just catching up with your recent posts. -- s29

beckett said...

Let me respectfully remind you,
Life and death are of supreme importance,
Time passes swiftly and opportunity is lost.
Each of us should strive to awaken,
Awaken, take heed! Do not squander your life.

Your thoughts on the transience of life reminded me of the above, which is how the sangha I've been meditating with concludes. Awaken! I don't know how it could be better put. . .