Friday, August 21, 2009

An idea

Most prose takes a high level description of mental events. This character got out of bed, talked with some other character, went to the park, etc, etc. But if you look closely at experience, it is actually filled with much more mental chatter, much of it verbalizable, although much of it is not. Driving down the road, that tree looks interesting, I'm hungry, where should I eat, my toe itches, Glenn Beck sure is a nutcase, etc. (This is a poor imitation, but hopefully signals the kind of thing I mean.) It's interesting because most of this mental chatter is completely forgotten, and our own memory of events conforms to the type of high-level abstract narrative that tends to characterize prose. Moreover, this type of high level description tends to conform to the idea of independent objective experience. Two people in similar situations would tend to agree to a large extent on the high level narrative. In any event, I had the idea that it would be fun to try to write a prose piece in such a way as to emulate the more detailed stream of consciousness. Actually James Joyce did this a bit in Ulysses, now that I think about it, but the more I thought about it, the less I was able to conceive of how to do it. Normally, I can only capture the moment-by-moment stream if I let myself go and just observe it, but the moment I try to analyze and remember it, the process is contaminated by the fixation on remembering it. The thoughts turn away from their natural progression and turn toward an analysis of the progression. Hmm.

No comments: