Monday, November 17, 2014

The Dharmic Map

I mentioned in my last post Ajahn Punnadhammo's image of crossing a stream as an analogy for the Buddhist path. The idea is that to reach the other sure, at some point, you have to step out into the water unsupported, a proverbial leap of faith. However, without any evidence that you are headed in an appropriate direction, what motivation is there to do so? Here's where another analogy Ajahn gave becomes relevant. Imagine you have a map of an unfamiliar area, but you don't know whether or not it is accurate. You start to use is provisionally, knowing that it could be wrong. As you continue to use it, you notice that where it says there's a town, when you get there, there's a town with the same name on the map, and so forth. Then, even though you haven't been everywhere on the map, the more towns it correctly identifies, the more and more confidence you have that the map is right. This has matched my own experience. Hitting signposts in my practice that the texts say will be there. Still, it's hard for me to break through my attachment to this life, even though I have full confidence in the dharma.


No comments: